domingo, 24 de agosto de 2014

The Y Generation, the students in our classrooms


As I told you on my last post, I am interested on this whole Y Gen thing or Millenium Generation and guess what? I realized I'm part of it! So this is what I found out on this webpage.
This term refers to the people born between the 1980's and early 1990's, after the so called Generation X. Some of their characteristics are:

  • Tech/Web savvy: These people were born surrounded by technological gadgets and as a result they're constantly plugged into it and has become an essential aspect of their lives. They prefer to communicate via email, social networks or text mensagges and want to work for companies that apply this.
  • Family oriented: They stike a balance between work and family. They want to find the best blend between and enjoyable life and a fullfiling work.
  • Ambitious: They're confident and ambitious and want to take important roles in organizations as soon as they begin.
  • Team players: They prefer regularly team mettings and collaboration with peers, they also want to feel included.
  • Communicators: Communication is key for them, but it has to be in the right terms. If you send them an email or text message you're more likely to have a quick answer than if you call them.
  • Like to be loved: Constant feedback, gratitude and telling someone they are doing a good job is something you will always get from a Generation Y.
Now, all these characteristics are what we must take into account to improve the way we teach this new generation. Although I'm part of it, it was really useful to read and learn about it, especially to consider the needs students have and how they may have an influence in our classrooms. If you want to read more about the topic, just go to the link I included in the first paragraph.

6 comentarios:

  1. Hi, Meli! I really liked your post and I noticed I belong to the same generation, haha. I think that it is very important for us future teachers to know and take into account they way students that are part from these generations are. Another thing that caught my attention thinking of this is that people who are not part of the same generation tend to feel our behaviour as inappropriate and even upsets them. I think that is that way because they don't share the same characteristics (they are not part from the Y generation) so they don't understand why we are surrounded by computers, cellphones, etc. and they find it annoying. For example, many teachers I had who are not part of the Y generation and are digital immigrants didn't like to use technology in their lessons and got irritated when they saw me and my mates using our cell phones or computers .
    I really liked your post, it is very interesting!

    ResponderEliminar
  2. Thanks Agus! I'm glad you like it. It is true what you say about people that don't belong to our generation, sometimes it is really hard for them to understand the way we do most this, and this might be the source of their attitude!
    See you in class,
    Meli

    ResponderEliminar
  3. Hi, Meli! Thanks for making the "Y generation" a bit clear for me!
    Despite the fact that I was born within this generation, I don´t feel like I have the Y GEN.
    I have to confess that I used to look at you, Meli, and think: HOw is it that she can watch a TV programme, send messages on Facebook and her mobile and plan a lesson simultaneoulsy? Now I understand! Ha, ha, ha.
    What called my attention the most is when you state that they like and need to be loved...Important to bare in mind for our future teachings!

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Hi Guille! Thanks for your comment! You know, the need Y Gens have of being loved also called a lot my attention, and for me is one of the most important characteristics of them. Unfortunately, it is one that is often not taken into account!

      Eliminar
  4. Hi Meli!!I really liked this post since I have no idea what the Y Generation was. I it turned out to be that I was born during this generation. Even though same characteristics are like your mention (for example, I tend to be family oriented), some others are not (I am not a tech/web savvy at all hahaha). I assume that it has to do with the attention we pay to the different technologies and the importance we give them into our lives. It was a good thing that you posted it so now I can have another perspective when teaching students.

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Hi Meli!
      I think that we all have this characteristics, but maybe they are present in different "amounts" in each of us. However, I totally understand your point. Thanks for commenting!

      Eliminar