miércoles, 13 de agosto de 2014

Selfies: a technological trend in the classroom

Hello hello! I know it’s been a long time since my last post, exam season was very hard (but successful ;) )!
The first day of this second and last semester we got to attend a workshop delivered by a woman called Mathilde Verillaud about the use of selfies in the classroom. I must say that for me it’s a great idea since adolescents are all the time taking photos with their smartphones, it’s part of their lives! Besides, it encourages them to discover themselves and to show their peers what they really are or what they want to be. I imagine that this would be a great project in a class where the students are not very familiar to each other, to foster some sense of class-identity and to value the differences and similarities among them.
She provided us with some activities that she used with her students (this project was carried out in a classroom in China, by the way) but I think they will need a great deal of adaptation if we want to use them in our classrooms in Santa Fe.
She also talked about the Y Generation very briefly but I would like to know more about it so I’ll do some research and make it the topic of my next post.

4 comentarios:

  1. Hi Melisa! I loved Mathilde's talk about including Selfies in the classroom! Most people often sees teens taking selfies and they think is fashionable but a waste of time! But they might not understand that teens are showing how they are, how they feel and they are showing some pages of the book of their lives... and THAT is really important today! We, as teacher, should enhance this particular way of expressing things! I totally agree with Mathilde and you and I will definitely use Selfies in my classroom when I teach. See you!

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Hi Anto! Thanks for your comment! I agree with you when you say that we should always enhance our students to express themselves. That's one of the most important things when teaching English in my opinion.
      See you

      Eliminar
  2. Hi, Meli! As you, Anto and most – if not all – of our classmates, I really enjoyed Mathilde’s talk. Even though I don’t think all the pictures used in the project were selfies, I consider it a great example of how we can use technology to motivate our students and help them creatively and critically think not only about themselves but also about their environment. Working with selfies in the English lesson is a great combination of the language, technology, the arts, and a popular trend.

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Hi Sol! I think is very important to foster creativity and critical thinking in our classrooms, especially as regards technology.
      Thanks for you comment!

      Eliminar